Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 62 Things that make me smile - Spring Lake Park High School Bands

Spring Lake Park High School has four bands - Varsity Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble.  Tonight all four bands performed in the concert Music as Imagery and Storytelling. The evening started with a percussion ensemble - which was fun!  Up next the four bands performed starting with the 9th grade Varsity Band and ending with the experienced Wind Ensemble.

It always amazes me to see the progression of the bands as the night goes on.  I smiled as I watched the young man playing tympani in the Varsity Band count the measures waving his sticks and tapping his leg.  I smiled as I watched the two percussion players juggled a variety of instruments in the Concert Band - even playing multiple instruments at the same time.  I smiled as the students introduced the different pieces and what they meant to them.  I smiled when the video played and the students explained the composition project and then smiled more when some of the student composition film projects were shared.  I ended the night smiling after the last number where the students performed while a cartoon film played above them.  The night started out good and kept getting better - tonight the talented Spring Lake Park Band made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment